Healing Hearts Across Borders



Since freshman year I have been apart of an organization called Healing Hearts Across Borders, which is a volunteer organization that sends doctors, dentists, pharmacists, and medical students to Tijuana, Mexico, to help provide health care services for the poorer residents who are unable to afford proper care. Each year I attend at least one of the trips if not two or three. As a high school student, my help was limited; however, I was able to be exposed to many different opportunities in the health care world as well as all of the ways they work together for the benefit of others, while at the same time learn about the culture of the area and the struggles that they face. On these trips, I was able to help translate and entertain the children allowing me to be able to glimpse into the daily lives of the residents of each area. Depending on the time of year for the trip and what is going on at each site we see different holidays and are welcomed by the residents to celebrate with them. On some occasions, we are there during or near the time of the Day of the Dead and we are able to see how each family honors and celebrates their loved ones. These trips are such an amazing experience as I am exposed to the culture and the people.

Comments

Popular Posts