Capstone Project Update


For my capstone project, I plan on teaching a class to the lower school science department about the global water crisis. I have chosen to teach students about the global water crisis because both my parents lived in Africa for their childhoods and have faced the effects of this crisis firsthand. Together with my family, I have raised money to build a well through the Wells Bring Hope foundation. However, I decided to not focus on a single country or place and speak to the crisis in general. Dr. Smith and I are working in conjunction with Ms. Alikhan to build a lesson plan that is interactive and interesting for lower schoolers. We plan to create/do interactive labs with the students, possibly making water filters or emulating the distance and journey that is necessary for some people to obtain water. Over the summer of my junior year, I attended a global health course where we researched this crisis and went into depth on the consequences that the crisis applies on different genders and ethnicities. We specifically researched how cultural norms force young girls and women to give up their educations and possible careers to retrieve the essentials of life for their entire families. 

Comments

Popular Posts